When we started looking into doing a radio show on "Out of the Ordinary but Extraordinary"the island of Santorini was an obvious choice. The way the grapes are grown in baskets are very unique as are their wines. I found a super white wine, made with one of the indigenous grapes of the island, although they do make wines from the traditional Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc etc. My goal was to something unique…
And I did…. The grape is Assyrtiko, its origins come from Santorini although it is planted widely in Greece, the grape loves the volcanic soil and typically produces dry, full bodied, aromatic white wines with a touch of mineral character..
My wine pick is the Boutari Santorini 2013 Assyrtiko…. Crisp, with green apple and hint of citrus, with that mineral note and long finish, so delish with my grilled fish!
So I found another great bargain on the shelves this week, a French bargain from the Rhone ….price is $13.95. It's a new release here in Ontario our home market.
It is from the winery Domaine Le Grand Retour, the wine is their Plan de Dieu 2011, I took it to a family get together on the weekend, and it got rave reviews!
A grenache blend, mostly Grenache at 70% with 20% Mourvedre and 10% Syrah. It is full bodied 14.5% alcohol, with delicious mouth watering ripe juicy flavours of black berry and cherry.Give it a try!
Well I find myself in the same camp as Miles did in Sideways… He adored Pinot Noir as so do I! As you know Pinot Noir is often referred to as the heart break grape, because its so hard to grow. Just like the womanizer Jack broke Stephanie’s heart (played by Sandra Oh) in the movie, this grape can be very fickle indeed and break a winemakers heart too.
My pick is the Hahn Pinot Noir 2012, Hanh is a family owned winery out of —Monterey, they’ve been making wine for over 30 years and have maintained their commitment to high quality and handcrafted wines. You can depend on Hahn!
This Pinot gives me what I like! It’s medium in body, wonderful aromas of strawberry, cherry and notes of spice. $18.95, a super buy
When one thinks of Mexico, often it’s about Tequila, in fact they also have a well established wine industry.Venture up to the north-western tip of Mexico to discover Baha California, with wines much like the ones sought after California's wines with its costal region.I loved this wine wit my burger on the grill. Simply divine with its medley of fruit character - red currants to blueberries, silky, with velvety tannins, nice concentration and weight. Delish!
This week The Wine Ladies take you on an excursion of everything Mexican! From the spirit of Tequila, exploring the truths and busting open the myths, why are all tequilas mescal but not all mescal tequilas? What is the best way to enjoy this drink, either neat, on the rocks or in specialty cocktails? Recipes, and tips on how to best enjoy tequila from the stemware, to chilling, to swirling! And what constitutes authentic Mexican cuisine, from the words of a native of Mexico City, you will hear about the ultra key ingredients and staples of this cuisine. So recognized is Mexican cuisine that Mexican food was recently classified an "irreplaceable cultural heritage of Humanity" by UNESCO. The stretches of stunning beaches along the Mayan Riviera, the ultra-cool town of Playa del Carmen, and the amazing beachfront condo development “The Fives” in Playa del Carmen will be explored and finally from a 5th generation Mayan learn about the mystery and history surrounding Tulum, one of the most visited ancient ruin sites in the world. Be sure to tune in!
Maybe not the most expensive Malbec, but certainly good bang-for-your-buck wine. The Show Malbec is produced by Three Thieves which is owned by Rebel Wines out of California. Despite this, The Show Malbec is made in Mendoza, Argentina home of many great Malbecs. 85% of this wine is from Lujan de Cuyo and the other 15% is from Uco Valley. This blend of fruit from high elevation vineyards in the Uco Valley and Lujan de Cuyo result in a mix of ripe fruit and savoury notes. A great match for grilled steak or game!
On this show The Wine Ladies explore the country of Peru and its capital Lima, regarded as one of the gastronomic capitals of the world. From the huge bio diversity of the landscape including the coastal region, the Andean region and the Amazon comes an incredible fusion cuisine. You’ll also discover Pisco, Peru's national drink, a grape spirit, a wonderful elixir that is made with grapes from vast, green vineyards that flourish in the heart of the arid deserts of Peru. This traditional spirit dates back hundreds of years and is the new rising star at the bar! Pisco Sour anyone? Peru a land of gastronomy, spectacular landscape, incredible people and of course Machu Picchu!